- Full time, Permanent
- Salary from £23,000 per annum
This is a practical role in a 'high visibility jacket' laboratory the successful candidate should be happy to work outdoors and occasionally work at height or in a confined space. Be competent with general construction techniques and display mechanical aptitude. The successful candidate will be working within FPA's Standards Testing Department, conducting destructive testing on building materials.
This involves working at our lab based in Blockley so being within a commutable distance is crucial for this role.
- Working with customer specifications to build test samples
- Verify and check samples prior to testing, measuring and documenting.
- Working as part of a test team with the furnaces during tests
- Documenting tests, photographs, notes, and observations of samples, moving
- Working to set procedures in line with specific standards
- Working with clients to provide accurate reporting of results & receiving technical enquiries.
- Assist with operation of safety systems for the execution of fire testing and research.
- Promptly identify problems and report immediately to the Line manager.
To be considered for this role, you must:
- Demonstrate hands-on practical ability
- Have understanding or interest in mechanical engineering, construction, or similar disciplines such as plumbing, domestic electrical installation etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safe working practices related to operating machinery.
- A detail-oriented person who can follow instructions and procedures precisely
- Computer literate knowledge of Word, Excel and ability and willingness to learn new software packages for datalogging and video editing.
- Possess GCSE in a Technical Subject, Maths and English Language, City & Guilds NVQ Level 3, HNC or equivalent in an engineering discipline.
- Previous experience of laboratory work.
- Construction and installation experience
- Experience with British Standards and approvals process
- Experience within a product/material testing environment
This is an opportunity to join a motivated workforce carrying out practical work that is valued by a wide range of clients. The work is varied and will include recording of detailed test results, data and video processing and practical tasks like bricklaying, pipe fitting and monitoring test fires, equipment maintenance and fire test clear up.
If you believe you are suitable for this position, please apply now!